Hemorrhoids are a common condition, affecting 3 out of 4 adults at some point in their lives. They are caused by swollen veins in the anus or lower rectum and can be itchy and painful.
Some people are predisposed to hemorrhoids due to hereditary factors, but can also be caused by:
- Straining during bowel movements
- Low fiber diet
- Chronic diarrhea or constipation
Drinking plenty of water and eating foods high in fiber are effective ways to keep hemorrhoids from flaring up. Sitz baths, cold compresses, and over-the-counter ointments and suppositories can also relieve symptoms.
Medical Treatments for Hemorrhoids
If discomfort continues, there are out-patient procedures we can perform, as well as surgical treatments including:
- Rubber Band Ligation: Bands placed around the base of hemorrhoids cut off circulation, causing them to fall off within a week.
- Injections (sclerotherapy): the doctor injects a saline solution, causing hemorrhoids to shrink.
- Coagulation or Cauterization: Lasers or infrared light or heat cause hemorrhoids to harden and shrivel.
- Hemorrhoidectomy: This surgical procedure is the most effective and complete way to remove severe or recurring hemorrhoids.
- Hemorrhoid Stapling: This procedure is typically used for internal and prolapsed hemorrhoids. The doctor uses a stapler-like device to reposition the hemorrhoids and cut off their blood supply, causing them to shrivel and die.
We Can Eliminate Painful Hemorrhoids
If you have been suffering from hemorrhoids and have not been able to find relief, contact Murrieta Valley Surgery Associates. We treat colorectal disorders, so you can be free from pain and resume your normal activities.